Replacing your aging windows will reduce your heating and cooling bills, increase the value of your home and improve your home’s appearance. Knowing how to choose the best replacement windows Virginia contractors have to offer will ensure your home improvement project delivers the highest value. Different brands, unique designs and varying installation methods are available, and all of these factors affect the total cost.
Understand Your Needs
You’ll discover a wide variety of replacement windows on the market, from high end composite windows to budget-friendly vinyl replacement windows. Virginia homeowners need to understand the advantages of each type, and align those advantages with their own needs to find the best windows for their home.
There are a few key factors that determine your unique needs, including:
- Budget – always an important part of any home improvement project, your budget will significantly narrow down the playing field.
- Architecture – the style of your home dictates the best style of window, although many styles are available in various materials and structural design.
- Climate or Exposure – seasons in Northern Virginia require double or triple glazed windows to help maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home, but not all homes will benefit in the same way from high end windows.
- Future Plans – if you’re planning on moving within five years, it’s not a good idea to invest in expensive, high end windows that will not necessarily deliver a great return on investment over that period. Consider a cheaper alternative when your short to mid-term future plans include moving.
- Installation Contractor – the scope of your Virginia replacement windows project, and the location of your property, will determine which contractor to hire. Beware of handyman companies that don’t offer the expertise and insurance coverage required for a replacement window project.
Ask your friends and family for referrals, and check the local listings to find Virginia replacement windows installers. Call a few different contractors and arrange for in-home estimates. They’ll need to physically visit your home to assess the conditions and accurately estimate the cost for removal and replacement.
Make sure you receive a written estimate and obtain a list of references from each contractor under consideration. If you find a big discrepancy in the prices, call in a few more contractors to better gauge the industry.
Write down a list of questions to ask your contractor, covering vital details like their installation process, scheduling, and payment structure. Don’t assume that the initial quotes will include all of your alternatives. It’s often up to the customer to inquire about the wide range of replacement windows Virginia contractors are offering.
Find out the differences between distinct brands and designs. Ask about the contractor ‘s recommendations and then compare that advice to the recommendations given by other professionals. Be diligent in gathering information while always keeping your specific situation in mind (your budget, architecture, exposure and future plans).
You can choose the best replacement windows Virginia contractors have to offer, as long as those windows suit your own circumstances. What’s best for your neighbor or family member may not be best for your home, and a professional replacement window installer can show you the difference.